Five years ago today is when our boy, Duke, went to Dog Heaven. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Justin got home late from football practice that night. We sat in front of the TV eating pizza and M&M's. We even shared with Duke and laughed at funny it was as he chewed them up. Justin and Duke went outside to play ball with the light up ball.....something they did every night. I was pregnant with Kenley at the time, so I laid inside on the couch watching TV. I remember the panic in Justin's voice as he flew through the back door asking where the flashlight was. I said "what's wrong" and he said something I will never forget "Duke's gonna die". I'm pretty sure a pregnant chick as never run so fast as I did at that moment. I ran outside to see what he was talking about. Duke had run into a tree at full speed. We jumped into the truck and loaded him up. I sat in the back with Duke while Justin drove as fast as he could to get us to the animal emergency room. I left the house without my shoes, phone and purse. After some tests, we got the news that his back was broken and had to make the hardest decision ever. He was hurting so badly that we had to let him go. My biggest regret of that night is that I didn't stay with him while he went to sleep. I was so upset and I did not want to see that happen. Although my mom, sister and Sherri were all with him, I should have been with him too. He was my boy and I chose to let him leave the Earth without me.
So, now that I am crying, I'll move on. I hadn't planned on telling that whole story, but that's what my fingers typed. Duke was a Christmas present to me from Justin. I got him in 2002. He was such a little fur ball with giant paws!!! We knew he was going to be a monster! Wish still miss you, Duke! We think about you everyday and wish that you were still around to love our kids. They would have loved you as much as we do! Hope you are having fun in Dog Heaven....give loves to all of our other furry friends there!
For your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of our boy, Duke. I have lots more that I would love to post, but they are not digital and my scanner isn't hooked up at the moment. This post is taking place of my 10 on Tuesday for this week. Enjoy!
Laying around on his back...this one normal!

Justin and Duke

Justin and Duke right before Chris and Richelle's wedding.

Kylie, Justin and Duke hanging around the house.

Playing outside! Duke loved to play catch and roam around the house. His favorite thing to do was swim in our pond!

Laying around after taking a walk.

Our first Christmas card after we were married (2004).

1 comment:
:( So sad....let out a few tears on this one.
Post a Comment