Kason has arrived and we couldn't be happier! He is such a perfect baby boy and we are all SO very in love with him. I still can't believe that I have a SON!! A baby boy of my own. It's so amazing and I feel extremely blessed to have such a wonderful, healthy family.
I went in at 6am on Wednesday, April 29th for an induction. We got there and got settled in and were asked a million questions. The nurse tried to start my IV and ended up blowing my veins in two different spots on my right arm (I have the lovely green, blue, and purple bruises to prove it). Finally she called in another nurse to start the IV who did it in one try on the left arm. We were all set up and they started the pitocin right after 7am. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful nurse named Cheryl. I was already dilated to 3 cm before starting, so we were hoping that things would go very quickly. I was contracting pretty regularly, but I wasn't feeling too much in the beginning. Cheryl was increasing the dose of pitocin pretty regularly to get things really moving along.
About 9am Dr. Womack came in to break my water. I had progressed to 4 cm at this point. This really got things going. The contractions were coming more regularly and were becoming more painful, but still not unbearable. I contracted for a couple of hours and then decided that it was time for the epidural. Out of this whole process I was most nervous about the epidural because of the experience I had during Kenley's birth. Let's just say that I was used as a pin cushion that time and was stuck in my back more than 30 times. This experience was MUCH better and very quick. There were no tears at all and it was almost painless. However, the epidural only took on my left side of my body at first. With some time it finally took on the other side as well. I wasn't feeling much pain after that.
I was checked here and there over the next couple of hours and managed to dilate to 6 cm around 1 pm. I was laying in bed talking to my mom, sister, and Justin when all of a sudden the contractions got extremely painful on the right side. My epidural wasn't working very well on that side again and I was in a lot of pain with every contraction. They were coming every minute or so and I wasn't getting much relief in between them. The nurse, Cheryl, called anesthesiology to come in and adjust the epidural and decided to go ahead and check me again because of the pain and pressure I was feeling. I was shocked when she said I was dilated to 9 and almost ready to push. She called out to prepare the room for birth and to call Dr. Womack.
Cheryl was running around the room for the next few minutes. I was in pain and needing to push. She kept telling me not to push until the doctor got there. It was hard, I was crying and feeling everything at this point. Kason was right there and wanting to come out. He didn't want to wait anymore! The anesthesiologist came in to fix the epidural, but the nurse informed him that we were having a baby instead. No time for the fix...baby was coming now! After a couple of minutes Dr. Womack came back in and we were ready. I pushed through 1 contraction and Kason was born at 1:48 pm weighing 6 pounds, 13 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. I went from being 6 cm dilated to holding my baby within 45 minutes. It all happened very, very quickly! A total of 6 hours and 39 minutes from start to finish! Beats the crap out of the 23 hours of labor the first time :)
Kenley meeting Kason for the first time in the picture above. Kenley has been really great. Things started off a little rocky when she came to the hospital because she wanted me to go home and couldn't figure out why I wasn't coming home and she was going to Grandma's house again. She was telling her grandma things like "mommy and daddy don't love me or want me anymore" and "They don't want me to go home with them". It broke my heart, but it was short lived thankfully! She same back to the hospital that night and spent a couple of hours with us before going to grandma's. Justin ended up spending the second night at home with her instead of the original plan to stay at the hospital with me. This was better for her to get back into the routine and stay at her own house. She's been very good with Kason so far. She really just wants to touch him all the time. It's so sweet when she gives him kisses and hugs and tells him that she loves him all the time.
Daddy snuggling Kason in the hospital. This is one of both of our favorite things to do!
1 comment:
jeanette and i are ooh-ing and aah-ing over here at mizzou quads!
so glad everyone is home safe, and we can't wait to see you and meet kason!
Post a Comment