Visitors

Popular Posts

Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy birthday to me (You'll never guess what I got to do today)

Today is my 28th birthday and it started off like any other day. I woke Kenley up to go to preschool and she was happy to sing happy birthday to me first thing this morning. Then she started going on and on about going to eat pizza tonight for mommy's birthday and how her cousin, Kylie, would be there. So, I went on to work and enjoyed a normal Monday, until about noon when I got this call from Miss Kristin at Kenley's school.....

"This is one of those calls that I don't like to make (my heart sank, wondering what happened to my baby girl). Kenley has stuck a rock in her nose and we can't get it out. I think you're going to have to take her to the doctor to have it removed"!!

Miss Kristin went on to explain what they had done to try and remove it themselves, but nothing was working. I could hear Kenley in the background crying. Part of me was laughing and part of me was kind of freaking out because I didn't know what to expect. I wrapped up at work and off I went to pick her up and assess it for myself. When I got there, I knew right away that it wasn't something that I could fish out by myself either. Kenley was crying and upset, but I think it was more because she thought I was going to be mad at her. Her little nose was swollen and red.

After a referral from the pediatrician, we headed to the ER to have the rock removed. We got there and got right in. The nurses and doctors were all kind of laughing and told us that this happens a lot more than you would think. The doctor, Dr. Nash, told me to plug the nostril that was clear and to blow in Kenley's mouth and that a lot of times this would blow the object out of the nose (who knew???). We did this twice, but it didn't work.....it did, however, blow the rock down in the nostril so that the doctor could reach in with her needles nose tweezers and pull it out. Finally, Kenley's nose was rock free again! I asked her why she put that rock in her nose and her reply was......"well, I thought it was a good idea"! This girl is a STINKER!!

Kenley was a champ....she never whined or cried the entire time we were there. I'm sure this won't be our last trip to the ER for something a little "strange". I was able to catch a couple of pictures from my phone, so they aren't the best quality, but you get the point.
When we first arrived

Her little bracelet

Rock free and happy as a clam!

The $100 rock :)

1 comment:

Tracy and Noah said...

well, her rock is bigger than my engagement ring . . .

:)