8 years ago today our lives changed. America changed. Everything changed. I will never forget it. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was in college and in my apartment that I shared with my sister. I was getting ready for class, jamming to the radio, as I did every morning. The DJ's cut to programming to deliver breaking news. The World Trade Center had been hit by a plane. I remember thinking to myself that it must have been a little plane that clipped the side of the building or something. I had no idea what was really happening. I walked into the kitchen where I told my sister what had happened. We turned on the TV and just started watching. We heard about the attack on the Pentagon and the other plane that crashed into the field. We watched the second plane hit, we watched people jumping from the windows of the building, we watching people running & screaming, we watched as both building crumbled to the ground. We watched....in disbelief of what was happening.
I skipped school that day and for some reason my sister wasn't working that day either. We hopped in the car and drove straight to the Red Cross to give blood. We knew that the blood bank would need every bit they could get. We wanted to do something, anything to help. I remember the line of people there to donate was miles long. People were hugging each other and crying. Everyone was in shock...it was so surreal. I also remember everyone came together in the weeks following the attacks. It was really amazing.
In total 2993 people, including the hijackers, were killed. Today, even 8 years later there are at least that many people who are mourning the lose of their loved ones. I'll never forget how that day changed everything for everyone in America. God bless the USA!

No comments:
Post a Comment